Monday, August 29, 2011

A Friend's Katrina Story

Hurricane Katrina hit the year after I moved to Austin. During the months that followed, I felt that people in other parts of the country never fully realized the impact; I lived in a city relatively close, and I don't think I realized the impact. I felt angry when, after learning that Robin and I had volunteered for the Red Cross at the Austin Convention Center three weeks after, a family member said, "People are still there?" I wanted people to know that years later, students I taught, still known as "Katrina Kids," were struggling with life after the hurricane.

I am very privileged to know the author of the following blog entry. I consider her a professional and personal confidante and love her dearly. I am so grateful that she took the time to document her experience and that she had the courage both to revisit the days, weeks, and months following the hurricane and to share it with me and other readers. Please take the time to head over to scatx.com and read her story.



No comments:

Post a Comment