Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Choc-o-noooooo!!!!!!!


On Sunday evening, we went to a friend's 60th birthday party. Robin has worked with Jimmy at Land Design Studio for the past few years, and we really enjoy him. His party was a laid back affair with some delicious chocolate cake. As most of the people at the party were closer in age to Jimmy than to us, Lydia was quite the hit. I hardly held her at all, and she put on a great show being passed around.

Now back to the cake. Doesn't it look amazing? Earlier in the weekend, I had been telling someone at our yoga studio how proud I am of Lydia's healthy diet--that I don't plan on giving her junk food until someone else introduces it to her, maybe at a birthday party or a friend's house. At the very least, I wanted her first taste of sweets to be given to her by me at her first birthday party. I pushed her out, I get the joy of watching her eat cake for the first time at her birthday party...

...or at Jimmy's birthday party, across the patio while she was being held by a very kind woman. At the tender age of 8 months and 1 week, our darling Lydia had her first taste of chocolate cake, given to her by the woman next to the kind woman holding her. It was one of those moments that left me not knowing whether to just shut my mouth and watch or speak up, since well, she's our baby, and we have very strong opinions on what she eats. I went with the former, accompanied by a smile that hopefully masked my clenched jaw. Here is Lydia, right after the Choc-o-noooooo incident. You can see the icing on her chin. I'm sure you'll be shocked to know that she absolutely loved the cake.

1 comment:

  1. I give you major props for the clenched jaw approach. I do not think I would have handled it that well (and Brian seems to have fallen on the side of thinking that nothing less than physical violence was deserved in this situation). :)

    ReplyDelete