Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Yoga yoga yoga!

This morning I returned to yoga for the first time since I was 39 weeks pregnant. It was quite the difference--40 lbs. lighter, feeling in my hands, normal-sized feet. It felt fabulous! I took a class from Malia, who taught all but one of my prenatal classes. I went in with minimal expectations of myself; I just wanted to make it through the class. Malia incorporated some great core work, something that pregnancy obviously affects, and I think I did a good job of being kind to myself instead of getting frustrated, a lesson I learned from practicing yoga while being  pregnant. I "felt" the aftermath of my pregnancy and Lydia's delivery mostly in my back, abs, pelvic floor, and hips, and I look forward to feeling those areas rebuild and reopen, so to speak.

I can't say enough how grateful I am for yoga during my pregnancy, and now I think it will be equally rewarding during these early postpartum months, for both physical strength and emotional health.

No comments:

Post a Comment