Friday, July 24, 2009

Readers are Leaders!

This week, I faced my library demons and walked Lydia to our local branch of the Austin Public Library. I thought I had a million dollars in late fees, but I had significantly overestimated my debts. While we were there, I discovered the Adult Summer Reading Program, as well as the Children's Summer Reading Program. The competitive, goal-setting part of me is loving this, and Lydia now has a leaf on the wall at the library (though I was disappointed to find she was not the youngest participant), and our goal is to read 25 books by the end of July. When we return our completed log, Lydia gets a free book. We can do it!

Austinites, head to your library and participate! Friends in other places, head to your local library to see what they have going on. Libraries are hurting, and they are valuable community resources. Documented participation in programs is always helpful in terms of maintaining funding. If you need book suggestions, check out the City of Austin's Good Reads list!

No comments:

Post a Comment