Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Austin Farmer's Market

After Lydia's doctor's appointment, Robin, Lydia and I went to check out the Austin Farmer's Market at The Triangle at 46th and Lamar. Our Community Sponsored Agriculture share is about to expire, and we are thinking about doing weekly produce runs to the Farmer's Market instead. We have enjoyed CSA, but would like the ability to choose our veggies and fruits. We were really pleased with the Farmer's Market, especially considering it is so close to our house, and scored tomatoes, strawberries, fresh lavender, and pork shoulder. (I know the pork shoulder messes with my Vegetarian Mother plan, but one meat meal a week at home makes Robin happy.) My favorite stand was "Garza's Gardens," a program through Garza High School, Austin ISD's alternative high school. The students grow vegetables and herbs for a class and sell the herbs at the market. They use the revenue to fund their gardening. The students were so talkative and enthusiastic, I couldn't help but miss (some of) my students at school. Now I just need to find a recipe that uses lavender...

Baby's First Pork Shoulder???

No comments:

Post a Comment